Delectable Strawberry Bars
I love June because it means red, juicy, sweet strawberries! Sweet sticky strawberries, and particularly these bars always remind me of my childhood- picking the ripe seasonal berries with stained hands, juice dripping down my chin, and a giant smile. This amazing recipe, which works well with the addition of rhubarb too, brings back those memories for me! I hope you enjoy them as much as my family does!
For the crust:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup wholewheat or buckwheat flower
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
For the filling:
- 1 pound hulled, sliced (or quarter based on size) fresh strawberries
- 1 jar (12 or 13 ounces) organic strawberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Start by making the crust.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper, leaving 1 inch overhang on long sides.
- In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder until well combined.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg and pulse until well distributed.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and mix with your fingers until clumps form; it should look like crumb topping.
- Chill dough in fridge while making filling.
- For the filling, combine strawberries (if you choose to use rhubarb slices, add here), cornstarch and lemon in small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until preserves are melted and cornstarch is dissolved, about 2-3 minutes.
- Divide dough in half- press the first half into parchment lined pan, patting down with your fingers to ensure even thickness. Don't forget the corners!
- Pour strawberry mixture evenly over dough.
- Sprinkle remaining dough evenly over top.
- Bake bars until fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown, about 40-45 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack. Lift bars out of pan using parchment over hang.
- Slice and enjoy warm!