On a chilly fall evening, it is so nice to come home to the comforting aromas of a nice warm bowl of hearty chili that has been cooking in slow cooker all day. This recipe is so easy, so delicious and a healthy, protein-rich option. Not only is it quick and simple on a busy day, but it reheats extremely well for lunches for the next couple of days! To help myself prepare, I make the spice mixture in advance in a small tupperware container so I can just throw it in the pot when. Also, the brown rice (or you could use bulgar or even farro) can be made in advance.
- 1 tablespoons EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can of organic diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- 3 15-ounce cans (or cartons, which are better) of your choice/combination of organic black beans, kidney beans and/or cannelloni beans; rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- grated mexican cheese
- chopped green onions
- Heat oil in your slow cooker or Crockpot.
- Add carrot and onion; saute until vegetables are just no longer raw, about 2 minutes.
- Add prepared beans, stock, tomatoes, garlic and spices. Stir well.
- Cover slow cooker and set timer.
- Serve hot chili over brown rice.
- Top with some shredded cheese and green onions.