Serve this crowd pleaser with a side of whole grains such as quinoa, brown rice or farro to soak up the delicious sauce, along with a few of your favorite vegetables. This recipe is more involved than most, but will be well worth the energy.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (save rind for testing)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup drained capers
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Place chicken breasts between 2 large sheets of plastic wrap; using a meat pounder or rolling pin (or fist if your having a bad day) lightly pound chicken to ½-in thickness.
- Prepare dredging/breading station. First, 1 plate with flour, then 1 bowl with eggs beaten (big enough bowl to fit breast in horizontally), and finally 1 plate with bread crumbs. Season each with salt and pepper.
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper, heat oven to 250°.
- Heat oil in large pan over medium to medium-high.
- Dredge chicken breast in flour, coat completely then shake off excess.
- Dip chicken breast in egg-wash to fully coat, shake off excess.
- Finally, dip chicken breast in bread crumbs, coat completely then shake off excess.
- Place chicken breast in pan.
- Repeat steps 5-8 with remaining chicken breasts.
- Flip breasts in pan when golden brown. Brown both sides, then move to baking sheet; approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Place baking sheet in oven.
- In same skillet melt butter, add onions and garlic and sauté until almost brown.
- Add 1 tablespoon of flour from dredging station to pan and stir rapidly until roux containing onions and garlic is golden brown.
- Add wine, lemon juice and broth and bring to a boil, making sure to scrape up and incorporate all the yummy bits stuck to the pan. Stir until sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add capers and parsley, season with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken breasts from oven and plate with sauce.
- Top with some fresh parsley and shaved Parmesiano Regiano if you choose.