Carrot Soup with Coconut Milk
This creamy, silky smooth carrot soup is great year round- it feels both hearty yet refreshing. Serve warm in the fall and winter months or chilled in the summer. Serve over quinoa to add depth and make the soup a meal.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divide
- 1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
- ½ small fennel bulb, thinly sliced (½ cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ pounds carrots, sliced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh orange juice (not concentrate)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup thinly sliced radishes
- salt and pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, fennel, and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, and cook 5 minutes, lowering heat to prevent browning.
- Add broth and orange juice and simmer until carrots are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender, and puree until satin smooth. Tip- if you have an immersion blender (these are great to have), the, use it directly in the saucepan.
- Serve hot or cold- drizzled with EVOO and garnished with radishes.
- Add a touch of Sriracha for heat if desired.