Creamy Carrot and Lemongrass Soup
This quick and healthy soup is hearty and energizing. Not only is it packed with Vitamin A, it is loaded with protein too. Look for lemongrass paste in the refrigerated produce section of your local super market near the fresh herbs. For a vegan and dairy-free option substitute yogurt for silken tofu, Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ½ cups chopped carrots
- 12 ounces pre-chopped fresh butternut squash
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 ½ cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons lemongrass paste
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated or ground ginger
- 1 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt, divided (or use silken tofu)
- juice of 1 fresh lime, about 1 tablespoon
- 4 teaspoons toasted pumpkin seeds for topping, if desired
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add carrots, squash, onion and salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add stock, pastes and ginger; increase heat to medium-high. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Use emersion blender in dutch oven, or pour carrot mixture into a blender.
- Add ¾ cup yogurt or tofu and continue to blend. If using a standard blender, remove center piece of blender to allow steam to escape. Make sure lid is secured and cover opening with a clean towel to prevent splashing.
- Process until smooth.
- Add lime juice; process to incorporate.
- Ladle soup into 4 bowls; top evenly with remaining ¼ yogurt or tofu and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.