Turkey Pot Pie- with vegetarian substitutes
Thanksgiving was wonderful, and the food delicious- but, there are still a lot of left overs! This delicious, homey recipe helps alleviate the full refrigerator, and puts smiles on your family's faces. You can choose either to make 1 large pie as described below, or several smaller pies for those with special food requests- such as vegetarian- substitutes provided!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 ounces button mushrooms (baby bella or cremini can work as well), stems trimmed, sliced in thick slices
- 1 cup carrots (about 2 carrots), peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup diced leftover cooked vegetables (really any vegetable will work)
- 1 ½ cups diced cooked turkey (if making vegetarian, use 1 cup firm tofu & add ½ cup veg)
- 1 to 1 ¼ cups gravy (turkey, mushroom or vegetable gravy will work)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg white, beaten & blended with 1 teaspoon water for glaze
- 1 9-in prepared pie crust
- Cranberry sauce optional
- Melt butter with EVOO in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms to skillet; season with salt and pepper. Saute until browned and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, cover and cook until carrots soften slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add left over vegetables, turkey (or tofu), gravy, and thyme.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered to thicken if necessary.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix in peas and parsley.
- Pour filling into 9-in diameter glass pie dish and refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes.
- Lightly brush rim of filled pie dish (both top & underside) with egg glaze.
- Place pie crust on top of filling and fold edge of dough over the edge of the pie dish. Pinch dough rim to seal crust all the way around. Chill 10 minutes (up to a few hours) in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly brush top of pie with glaze. Make 3 or 4 ¼ -inch slits in center of pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pie until crust is golden and filling is bubbling, 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes.
- Serve with cranberry sauce if desired.