This is a family favorite in the summer- cool refreshing cucumbers that have a nice pickled bite, but not overwhelmingly "vineagary". I have been asked for this recipe countless times, so here it is friends :)
YIELD: Makes 8 servings
ACTIVE TIME: 20 min
TOTAL TIME: 1 1/2 hr
- 2 seedless cucumbers (1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon sugar or ½ tablespoon stevia
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coarse grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- Equipment: an adjustable-blade slicer
- Cut cucumbers into thin (1/16-inch) rounds with slicer. Toss with 2 teaspoons salt in a colander with a bowl underneath to catch the liquid, then drain 30 minutes. Squeeze excess liquid from cucumbers.
- Whisk together sugar, vinegar, and mustard in a large bowl, then stir in cucumbers. Marinate, covered & chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Drain cucumbers, reserving marinade, and mound onto serving dish. Whisk oil into reserved marinade and drizzle over salad.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped dill.
- Cucumbers can be marinated, chilled, up to 1 day.