Warm Potato Salad
Serve this potato salad warm or cold the next day.
- 1 lb potatoes, new or fingerling
- 1 summer squash or 4 ounces green beans (whichever is freshest)
- ½ cup olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard (Maille or Grey Poupon for example)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley or basil (whichever you have fresh on-hand)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with salted water, then bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes until tender, 10-12 minutes, then transfer to a bowl.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle slice each in half (fingerling) or quarters (new) and set aside.
- If using green beans, add to pot and cook until just tender, while retaining color and slight bite, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to an ice bath (medium bowl of ice water) until cool, then drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Add potatoes and garlic, and cook until the potatoes are golden brown, 4 minutes. If using squash, add 3 minutes after the potatoes to ensure they do not overcook.
- Stir in vineager, Dijon mustard and green beans (if using) and cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes
- Remove from heat, stir in fresh herbs, season with salt and pepper and serve.