Great for breakfast or a snack, these sones are lighter than most, and not at all sweet. If you want to up the sweetness, drizzle with sugar before putting in the oven. Serve warm.
- 2 cups all purpose flour (I like unrefined)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 7 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into ¼-in pieces
- ¾ cup hazelnuts, toasted, cooled and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup 1% milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 400º. Cover baking sheet in parchment paper.
Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Add butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in hazelnuts.
- Whisk milk, sour cream, egg and vanilla in medium bowl; set aside 1½ tablespoons for glaze.
- Make well in center of dry ingredients; add remaining milk mixture.
- Stir just until dough forms. Let stand for 3 minutes.
- Turn out onto floured surface. Using floured hands, knead gently until dough comes together, about 6 turns.
- Pat into 8 inch round. Using sharp knife, cut into 8 wedges (like a pie); brush with glaze.
- Transfer wedges to baking sheet, spacing apart.
- Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to rack and cool slightly.
- Serve warm as is, with a bit of butter, berry compote or preserves.