Double Chocolate Air Fryer Donut Holes
These refined and healthier donut holes (or zeppole) will amaze your family or guests alike. Much classier than the coffee shop standard, and so much healthier since they aren’t greasy! This recipe can easily be made gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan with a few substitutions noted below. No doubt you will be asked to bring these to every party! Enjoy!
INGREDIENTS FOR DONUT HOLES
- 1 cup organic white all-purpose flour (substitute a nut flour for gluten-free)
- ¼ cup organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons 100% unsweetened cocoa powder (such as Ghirardelli)
- 1 large egg white (substitute 2 tablespoons aquafaba for vegan option)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup whole milk or almond milk
INGREDIENTS FOR GLAZE
- ½ cup good quality semi-sweet chocolate chips (min 50% cacao; such as Guittard or Ghirardelli)
- 1 tablespoon whole milk or almond milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, cacao and salt. Mix well.
- Add the egg white (or aquafaba), coconut oil and milk.
- Mix well with fork until too stiff to mix, then knead dough together with hands for a few seconds until combined. Dough should be slightly sticky.
- Refrigerate dough in bowl for at least 1 hour.
- Pre-heat air fryer for 5 minutes on 370°.
- Remove dough from fridge, give it a quick knead, and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll to form balls.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper so it covers bottom of air fryer, but small enough that air can circulate.
- Arrange in single layer on parchment in air fryer, leaving about 1-inch around each ball, as they grow.
- Air fry in 2 batches of 6 at 370° for 10 minutes. DO NO SHAKE THE BASKET!
- Place on baking sheet to cool.
- In a double boiler or microwave, melt chocolate until shiny and smooth.
- Dip each donut hole in chocolate and allow to cool.