The warm smell of an apple crumble baking is the perfect transition into fall. This delicious crumble reheats nicely and can keep for several days. If you have the will power that is. Enjoy!
- 2 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 ½ cups (packed) golden brown sugar
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- nonstick canola oil (or safflower oil) spray
- 4 pounds of apples (the tarter & firmer the better) peeled, cored & sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Mix oats, 1 cup sugar, flour and flaxseed meal in a bowl.
Add butter; rub in with fingertips until toppings comes together in moist clumps. Cover & chill. This can be made unto 1 day in advance.
Preheat oven to 375º. Spray 13x9x2- inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray.
Mix apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ½ cup brown sugar in bowl. Transfer to glass dish.
Sprinkle topping over.
Bake crumble until apples are tender and topping is brown and crisp, about 55 minutes.
Cool slightly and then enjoy either on its own or with fresh vanilla bean ice cream.