Easy Fish Tacos with Fresh Pico de Gallo
I have always absolutely loved fish tacos, but making them at home always seemed daunting. And honestly, I wasn't sure that I would be able to sell them to the kids, even though they will eat almost anything. Well, after trying multiple recipes, I have learned that this has become one of their favorites and even better- it is super fast and easy!
INGREDIENTS for Pico de Gallo
- 2 medium tomatoes (about 1 pound), seeded and diced or a pint of grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
INGREDIENTS for fish
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cayenne pepper
- 1 pound white fish such as cod, cut into 1- to 2- inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 lime, halved
- Warm whole-grain corn or flour tortillas for serving
- 1 avocado sliced thin
- To make pico de gallo, toss together all ingredients in a medium bowl. If someone doesn't like cilantro, serve on the side.
- To prepare the fish, mix the flour and seasonings on a plate.
- Dip the fish pieces into flour to coat on all sides and transfer to a clean plate.
- Pour oil into a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add fish and cook until golden brown on one side, about 3 to 4 minutes, then flip.
- Cook fish until golden brown on other side and center is white, flaky and cooked all the way through, about another 3 to 4 minutes. Add more oil to pan if necessary to keep fish from sticking to pan.
- Squeeze lime on top.
- Serve fish with warm tortillas and freshly made pico de gallo and top with fresh avocado slices.