Braised Pork Tostadas with Red Cabbage Slaw
This delicious, authentically Mexican meal is now made so much more accessible with the InstaPot. Get all the flavors of a slowly braised pork, that once took all day to cook in under an hour! Stack these delicious tostadas with red cabbage slaw, homemade rustic Mexican pico de gallo or vibrant salsa verde and an avocado crema. Top with cheese and cilantro. Fry your tortillas authentically, or for a healthier option, simply bake. This recipe serves 4-6. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ pounds trimmed pork cheeks or organic pork stew meat
- ¼ cup sherry
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 yellow onion, cut in half
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set Instapot to sauté and add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add pork and brown all sides.
- Add sherry to deglaze, stirring for 1 minute.
- Turn off Instapot.
- Add garlic, onion, oregano, salt, and stock.
- Set Instapot to Meat setting for 40 minutes at full pressure.
- When finished release pressure remove pork from braising liquid.
- Using two forks, finely shred pork and place in medium saucepan over low heat. Add ½ cup braising liquid to keep moist.
- Either gently fry corn tortillas in deep fryer or in skillet until just golden brown, or gently bake in oven.
- Place fried or baked tortillas on towel lined baking sheet and season immediately with salt.
- To make slaw simply toss cabbage with lemon juice and lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- To stack tostadas, place tortillas on plate, add pork, red cabbage slaw, Mexican cheese, and salsa. Top with sprig of cilantro if desired.