Basic Tart Dough
This simple recipe makes enough for one flakey 10-in diameter tart or one 14x10-in galette. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large organic egg, beaten to blend
- Whisk sugar, salt and 1 cup flour in a medium bowl.
- Add butter and rub in with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal with a few pea-sized pieces remaining.
- Pour egg mixture over butter mixture and mix gently with a fork until dough just comes together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Form dough into a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Dough can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled or freeze up to 1 month.