Shrimp & Pea Cakes with Ginger Aioli
The subtle sweetness of shrimp and peas is complemented with a pop of ginger and sesame oil in the aioli! You can substitute lump crab to refine this recipe even more. If you do so, choose a high grade sustainable crab. This is a crowd pleaser and something different to serve at a cocktail party. Enjoy!
- ¾ cup frozen organic peas, thawed (not wet)
- ½ pound cooked shrimp (coarsely chopped) or 8-ounce container of lump crabmeat, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions, plus more for garnish
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons sour cream plus ¼ cup, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 3 tablespoons organic mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- pinch of cayenne or Sriracha
- 4 tablespoon avocado oil, divided
- Coarsely chop peas and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add shrimp (or crab) and scallions and toss to combine. Stir in panko.
- Whisk egg, 2 tablespoons sour cream, ½ teaspoon ginger and salt in a small bowl. Pour over shrimp mixture and stir to combine.
- Form into 15 cakes, about 1 generous tablespoon each.
- Whisk the remaining ¼ cup sour cream, mashed garlic, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon ginger with mayonnaise, sesame oil, rice vinegar in a bowl until well combined. Add Sriracha, cayenne or squeeze of lemon to taste.
- Heat 2 tablespoons avocado oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add half the shrimp cakes.
- Cook until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to serving platter. Repeat with remaining 2 tablespoon avocado oil and remaining cakes.
- Serve the shrimp cakes with the aioli and garnish with scallions, if desired.