Chocolate-Dipped Granola Bars
Fresh, homemade granola bars are not only a great mid-day energy boost, they are a good source of fiber, protein, minerals and anti-oxidants. And, they are kid (kids of all ages) approved without the preservatives, added sugar and other nasties that are often found in store bought granola bars. Wrap these simple-to-make bars individually so they are on-the-go ready. If they need to be tree nut free, simply substitute the nuts for pepitos (pumpkin seeds), also a great source of iron!
- 2 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups whole raw cashews, divided (substitute of almonds, pepitos or soy nuts if desired)
- 3 tablespoons canola or safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- ½ cup honey (try Bees Knees Spicy Honey by Bushwick Kitchen for a kick!)
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar or fresh maple syrup
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup organic dried currants (chopped dried cherries work too)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (minimum 60% cacao)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 8x8-inch pan with nonstick spray such as coconut oil.
- Toast oats and cashews on separate baking sheets until golden brown, about 20 minutes- note, oats and cashews may not have the exact same cooking time.
- Grind flax seeds in mini food processor until fine.
- Puree 1 cup cashews with oil in a mini food processor until smooth.
- Heat honey, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in a medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in flax and cashew mixture.
- Toss together oats, remaining ½ cup cashews, currants and chia seeds; stir in honey in honey mixture until combined.
- Press oat mixture into prepared pan using the back of a spatula coated with non-stick spray.
- Bake bars for 10 minutes; let cool and then cut into 8-10 bars.
- Melt chocolate in microwave or double-boiler until smooth, stirring approximately every 20 seconds.
- Dip bottoms of bars in chocolate, allowing excess to drip off.
- Place on parchment paper and allow to set up.
- Wrap individually to take with you, an enjoy!