This light, fresh yet filling salad or pita sandwich is a great lunch, side or appetizer. It is a great way to celebrate many of the delicious veggies and fresh herbs right out of the garden. Additionally, bulgar is a great source of plant-based protein. Super easy to prepare and keeps well in the fridge (if it doesn't get inhaled!) for up to 4 days. Top with crumbled feta and sprouts if you choose.
- ¾ cup bulgar
- ¾ cup chopped cucumber
- ½ cup snipped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh mint
- ½ cup pitted kalmatta olives
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or safflower)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup packed baby spinach or other leafy green
- lemon wedges or fresh herb sprigs for garnish
- Place bulgar in bowl and soak in hot water for 20 minutes. Then place in colander; rinse with cold water. In a large bowl combine bulgur with cucumber, parsley, green onions and mint.
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine the water, oil, lemon juice and salt. Cover and shake well.
- Drizzle dressing over bulgar mixture; toss to coat.
- Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Stir tomato into bulgar mixture just before serving and add pinch of salt.
- Serve over spinach or greens as salad if desired or scoop onto whole wheat pita. Can also be enjoyed with pita chips.