Banana, Dark Chocolate and Oat Pancakes
These are simply delicious. Full of flavor, these moist, protein-rich, flourless pancakes keep you satisfied and feeling great all day long. If you want to de-gluten this recipe, simply substitute gluten-free hearty oats (unprocessed). Enjoy.
- 1 13-ounce can organic coconut milk, chilled
- 3 large eggs
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- ¾ cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate grated or finely chopped
- ½ cup pure maple syrup, warmed
- Without shaking or tilting the can, carefully open the coconut milk. Remove the solidified coconut cream from the top, and place in a chilled bowl. (Reserve liquid for another use such as a smoothie or in your coffee!!)
- Beat the coconut cream with an electric mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Whisk together the eggs and salt in a medium bowl; whisk in banana, flax, oats, and 2 ounces chocolate. Let batter stand until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour about ¼ cup of the batter for each pancake onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or large nonstick skillet.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the edges appear dry and bubble form at the surface, about 2-3 minutes.
- Turn pancakes over, and cook until firm and golden, about 2 more minutes.
- Serve pancakes topped with the maple syrup and coconut cream.
- Garnish with shredded coconut, banana slices or grated chocolate if desired.