Creamy Butternut Squash-Stuffed Mushrooms
A new, fresh twist on a classic dish. Serve these delicious mushrooms as an appetizer or for a cocktail party. The goat cheese gives them a tang and balances well with the sweetness of the butternut squash. These will be a big hit, and pair well with a bold red wine. Enjoy!
- 2 cups chopped butternut squash (about 10 ounces)
- 2 ½ tablespoons grapeseed or safflower oil
- 1-ounce soft goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon organic butter
- ½ cup whole wheat panko
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 24 2-inch wide cremini mushrooms, stems removed
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place squash on a rimmed baking sheet; toss with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Bake until tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven
- Reduce oven temperature to 350° F.
- Place a wire rack in a large baking sheet.
- Combine squash, goat cheese, butter, pepper and ¼ teaspoon salt in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine panko, thyme, and remaining 1 ½ tablespoons oil and ¼ teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Spoon about 2 teaspoons squash mixture into each mushroom cap.
- Press about 1 teaspoon panko mixture into squash mixture.
- Place mushrooms in a single layer on racked baking sheet.
- Bake until panko is toasted, about 15 minutes.