This is a new, modern, adult taking on a classic Italian favorite. Using pizzelles is a unique, healthier, delectable twist. You will like your fingers and want seconds! This recipe makes 12 servings.
INGREDIENTS FOR PIZZELLES
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ teaspoon anise extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- ¾ cup sugar
INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING
- 1 ½ cup whole milk ricotta
- ½ cup mascarpone
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons raspberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons Chambord
- 1 cup fresh organic raspberries
PREPARATION FOR PIZZELLES
- Beat eggs and sugar.
- Add cooled melted butter, vanilla and anise.
- Add sifted flour and baking powder, continue mixing until combined.
- Batter should be thick enough to be dropped by spoon.
- Using pizzelle maker, make pizzelles and roll using wood dowel while hot.
PREPARATION FOR CANNOLI
- In a medium bowl, whisk ricotta and mascarpone until smooth.
- Whisk in sugar, raspberry preserves and Chambord.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip heavy cream until it holds a soft peak.
- Gently fold whipped cream into ricotta mixture.
- Cover and chill mixture for half an hour to an hour.
- When ready, gently spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip.
- Fill cannoli shells from each end, placing a raspberry in the middle and on each end.