Arugula-Walnut Pesto Pasta with Zucchini
This is a quick healthy side that is refreshing and full of veggies that the whole family will enjoy. Top with grilled or baked chicken as a meal. Leftovers are even great cold in a lunchbox! Reserve extra pesto in the fridge for up to a week to use on sandwiches, or even freeze for future pasta use- this recipe is easily doubled or tripled.
- 1 ½ cups packed arugula (or baby spinach)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 ½ cups parsley
- ½ cup shelled walnuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup shredded Parmesiano Reggiano, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 box (app 11-ounces) whole grain penne, fusilli or rotini pasta
- 2 zucchinis, trimmed, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise in ¼-inch thick half-moons
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for pasta, add salt (should taste like the ocean).
- To make the pesto: combine all ingredients in to a food processor or Vitamix and puree until smooth. Add drops of lemon juice and olive oil if necessary to move the blades, but pesto should be thick.
- Cook pasta according to directions, and will only 3 minutes remaining, drop the zucchini into the boiling water with the pasta.
- Drain pasta and zucchini when done and return to pot.
- Add pesto slowly to the pot and toss to combine. There should be leftover pesto.
- Serve pasta with zucchini in bowls garnished with extra Parmesiano Reggiano.
- Serve and enjoy.