Artichoke and Basil Sandwich
Looking for a light, scrumptious, smile inducing sandwich to pack in your cooler for a picnic or day at the beach, that will leave you fulfilled yet ready to play? And to top it all off it is healthy- this is the sandwich to try!
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesano Regiano
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 16-ounce loaf unsliced French bread
- 1 14-ounce can or jar organic artichoke hearts, drained and sliced or 3 fresh artichoke hearts trimmed and quartered
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 cups torn fresh spinach
- In a blender or food processor, combine basil, EVOO, Parmesan, capers, vinegar, mustard and garlic; blend or process until smooth.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise.
- Hollow out each half, leaving ½- to 1-inch shell. (Save bread crumbs for another use!)
- Spread basil mixture over cut side of each bread half.
- On the bottom half, layer artichoke hearts, mozzarella, tomato and spinach.
- Cut sandwich crosswise into 6 pieces. Wrap each piece individually for picnic or serve immediately. Enjoy!