Collard Green Maki with Sesame Dipping Sauce
Simple, delicious and super nutritious handrolls are a great appetizer or cocktail party dish. Enjoy!
INGREDIENTS FOR DIPPING SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons organic tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
INGREDIENTS FOR HANDROLL
- 1 cup uncooked short-grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 2-inch piece of kombu
- 6 large collard greens
- 1 large leek, halved length-wise and cut crosswise into ½ inch half-moons
- 2 cups thinly slice shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup julienned daikon radish
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dipping sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Place rice, water and kombu in medium pot or rice cooker, and cook rice according to instructions.
- When rice is cooked, remove from heat to cool and discard kombu without squeezing.
- In a medium pot, bring 3-inches of water to a boil.
- Turn off heat and, one at a time, hold the collard leaves by the stems, submerge leaves in water for 3-5 seconds each (or until just bright green). Repeat with each green until all greens are lightly blanched and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté leek and shiitakes in EVOO until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add tamari and stir. If ingredients stick, deglaze pan with 1 tablespoon of water as needed.
- Place one collared green on a cutting board shiny side down; spread a heaping tablespoon of rice crosswise across the widest part of the leaf, leaving 1-inch clean along each edge.
- Top with a small scoop of mushroom mixture and then top with carrots, daikon and a piece of avocado.
- Fold insides of collard leaf and roll, starting at the end with the rice and vegetables to form a log.
- Continue with remaining ingredients until everything is used up.
- Cut rolls in half and serve with dipping sauce.