This classic dessert from Madrid is one of my best memories of late night tapas. This torte is moist and irresistibly almondy and delectable paired with strawberry salsa and a glass of sherry! This easy recipe is even an quickly become gluten-free, simply substitute buckwheat flour for all-purpose. This recipe serves 8. Enjoy!
INGREDIENTS FOR CRUST
- 1 large organic egg
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups buckwheat or all-purpose flour
INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING
- 4 large organic eggs
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 ½ cups almonds
INGREDIENTS FOR STRAWBERRY SALSA
- 16 oz sliced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
PREPARATION FOR CRUST
- In a large bowl, beat the egg and sugar with one tablespoon hot water with a whisk until creamy.
- With a spatula, slowly fold in flour until dough is just formed and no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Add more flour if necessary.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge while making filling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out dough onto a floured surface, then fit into a well-greased or parchment lined 9-inch baking dish or pie pan.
- Prick bottom with a fork and then pour filling onto base.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the torte is golden brown.
- Allow torte to cool in the pan, then transfer to a serving dish.
- Decorate with powdered sugar or strawberry salsa as desired.