Spinach Basil Pesto
This a a family favorite and can be made in large batches. Freeze up to 6 months in serving size containers for easy reheating. Great to use as a spread on sandwiches too!
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove (don't be stingy)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Fill a large stockpot three-quarters full with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, spread out the walnuts on a small rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 10 minutes, giving them a shake after 6 minutes. Continue roasting until golden brown and toasted. Set aside and allow to cool thoroughly.
- Fill a large bowl halfway with ice and water, and set it close to the sink.
- Dump the spinach and basil into the boiling water and stir. After 1 minute, strain the greens, and plunge them into the bowl with ice water. Drain the greens again and squeeze them tightly to get as much water out as possible. Chop the greens roughly.
- Combine the greens and walnuts with the salt, olive oil, and Parmesan in a food processor or blender and process until a smooth consistency is reached. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.